Monday, March 3, 2014

Apples & Oranges

You cannot compare people anymore than you can compare apples and oranges. Well you can compare them but you will ultimately end up frustrated, take it from an expert. I recently found myself in a situation where I was comparing 2 different people in my life, I have been completely frustrated and at times hurt because Person A is not like Person B and I really, really want them to be. But just like fruit, the similarities in people are mostly in the physical.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, have skin, seeds, and inner flesh. Both are colorful and have lots of varieties. Same can be said for people. But here is where it gets tricky. An apple can never be an orange. If I pick up an apple and get frustrated and angry because it does not taste like an orange, well that is my problem, not the apple's. For me to expect an apple to change everything about itself and to become an orange, then I am not truly accepting the apple.

So the moral of my story. If you are expecting an apple to become an orange or even just want the apple to be more like an orange, you are going to end up frustrated and possibly damaging your relationship with the apple because you are placing expectations on the apple that the apple cannot fulfill.